Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Coulda, shoulda, woulda....


This is totally random but I was just thinking, I can’t imagine having my arm amputated… there would be certain things I definitely could not do. No matter how much I wanted to, it wouldn’t be a choice it would be fact. For instance I definitely could not knit, play the trombone, jump rope, or play quack diddly oh so.

My disabilities aren’t quite as restrictive for sure, which I am very thankful for! There is nothing that I “cannot” do… well at least not due to my IC, my husband doesn’t call me 5 lb muscles for nothing.

Sure… I “could” do all those things… I take for granted the fact that I “could” knit or play the trombone… if I wanted to learn and ya know, be patient.

There are, however, still things I should not do… Things that would cause an instant flare and make me pay for days. Even though I have had IC for 12 years I am still learning what are things that I shouldn’t do, in the past I have learned I can’t ride a jet ski, an innertube behind a boat, ride a horse and this weekend I learned a new thing I definitely should not do.  

What I want to know… if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you? What if there was a bungee cord? What if that bungee cord may or may not be just a couple inches long? All your friends say, “come on! Whats the worst that will happen? You’ll just get a tiny bonk on the head, perhaps a mild concussion! Let’s do it!”  Okay…

So there we go. We launch off the bridge only to watch the ground hurtling towards you, waiting for the reassuring tension to catch, but… it was just a tiny bit too late. You limply swing from the bridge. You made the wrong decision.

All this is to say… I should not, ever, ever ride a motorcycle. My husband got a Harley Sportster about 6 months ago and I have now attempted to ride with him 3 times.       

Each time it not only causes severe pain minutes after we leave but the pain of having my entire body weight resting on my sensitive regions lasts for hours, if not days.

Sunday I decided to give it another try... I mounted the bike and thought if I could shift all my weight to my tailbone it wouldn’t be so bad. So off we went, the first 2 minutes were exhilarating! The warm summer wind blowing in my face, the scary/ exciting sensation of potential death while wrapping my arms around my strong, leather clad husband. (Don’t get me started on the leather… but I guess it goes with the bike.)

When suddenly the pain seared through me like a blazing dagger. I was too scared to shift my weight while on a tiny seat on the top of two wheels going 50 mph. So I sat in misery for another 2 minutes until we got to a stop light and I told my dear husband we needed to head back.

He nodded and flipped an alarmingly tight u-turn and we headed home. Then the pain escalated from my urethra to my bladder… turns out straddling a huge vibrating machine shakes up a decrepit bladder in a very unpleasant way.  As we drove past my friends the Alapacas I thought for sure I was going to pee all over my husband and his precious bike. I focused and thankfully we made it home just in time.

As soon as I swung my leg over the bike I stopped focusing and instantly the pee dribbled down my pants into my shoes. It was a particularly hot day here in Seattle so I stripped down, put on my swim suit and jumped into the pool. The cool water soothed my aching body and reduced the painful swelling. The pain eventually subsided, hours later, but I definitely learned a lesson this weekend.

Just because I “can” do stuff… doesn’t mean I should. It’s not worth it to do these things to convince myself I’m normal because HELLO… I’m not! What normal person swims on a hot day primarily to reduce lady bit swelling??

This doesn’t mean I’m going to stop trying new things it just means I’m going to measure my bungee cord before I throw myself off the bridge. (Some how that’s a really deep metaphor if you dig deep.)

No comments:

Post a Comment