Thursday, September 13, 2012

My jalopy of a bladder


My jalopy of a bladder

I’m a very visual person… I use metaphors. It’s what I do. So here we go.  

If a brand new cars check engine light comes on you are alerted and immediately check the problem. You take it to the shop they find out the issue and take care of it in no time. Then there’s an old, beat up car that has been around the block a few times. If its check engine light comes on you try to ignore it for a few weeks… then you realize it’s not acting right and eventually you take it to the shop. You wince as the mechanic lists off the problems and the total it would be to fix them. What’s a girl to do? I know what I would do… kindly ask the strapping greasy fellow what is the minimum I could fix to get my ol’ heap back in action.

In this analogy my bladder is that beat up car. It has dents, dings, and runs but only barely. My “check engine” light is almost always on so I have learned to not freak out any time I get a flare. Last week, not only was my check engine light on, my sad little bladder car would barely start. (This analogy has maybe gone too far? I hope you’re tracking.)

It always hurts when I pee. Literally every time. So when I sat down to go on Friday the burn I felt was expected and familiar but the stench I smelt was not. (I actually thought it was Titus’ diaper in the trash next to the toilet, sorry for the details… I over share, accept it.) Then I got in the shower as I always do after I tinkle to try to alleviate some of the pain and pressure. This pain was off the charts and every time a tiny bit of urine escaped that smell and pain accompanied it.

Then I realized the pain was a little different… the pressure and cramping was worse than ever. I described it to my Mom by saying my pee felt “thick”… at some point I’m pretty sure I said it felt like I was peeing a milk shake.

Being the scholarly type that I am I added up all of these signs and deduced that I perhaps had a bladder infection. I had Zach pick up an at home UTI test and right away it showed blaring positive results. I called my doctor, she called in a prescription for antibiotics and sent me to a lab to have the urine tested and the infection verified.

The antibiotics did nothing. I was running to the bathroom every few minutes and each time felt worse than the last. Not even my beloved shower helped… so I spent the weekend on narcotics, hovering under a heating bad and trying to ignore the pain as I got every thing ready for my sons first birthday party! The emotions and Mommy determination took over, the party was amazing but the minute it was over… my adrenalin was used up and I was down for the count. 

My doctor called Monday and confirmed that I do have a bladder infection and I felt pride in my diagnostics. I should work for Gregory House! 

Now here we are almost a week later, the infection is still raging, my lower back is aching along with the rest, and my body is exhausted from fighting the good fight. I am ready for this poisonous urine to pass out of my body so I can get back to living with just IC. I feel blessed by my usual 5-8 pain rather than this intolerable debilitating 10 pain.

I’m headed back to the lab tomorrow for another urine culture and hopefully we’ll get some answers soon...

So! Here is a tip for my IC girls… any time things feel different go with your gut instinct, it’s usually right! The nice thing about an infection is it’s totally treatable, no need for extra suffering! Also, don’t forget that Azo turns your urine neon orange because when you lose control of your bladder in the kitchen in front of your family it’s best to be prepared to explain!

4 comments:

  1. Great post. Several
    of my IC sisters United Fb support group members have come down with a UTI over the last week. I would like to add one important piece if info. Please ask your doctor or Lab if your UTI is caused by E.Coli bacteria ( the most common cause ) or Staph bacteria. They require completely different antibiotics., staph takes a lot longer and is more difficult to get rid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay! That is great to know! Thanks for the tip!!!

      Delete
  2. I hope you feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are so strong! Gosh so long to get relief, I hope that this round of medication will put you back to normal teeth clinching pain.
    You did so good telling the story! enjoyed reading it.
    Tomorrow I'm headed to the DR Jacoby's office for the left interstim test. Still worried about the pain. I have put my faith in God that he will pull me thru this.
    How is the move going? Or is that at a stand still, if it was me it would be at a stand still.
    Lots of Love♥

    ReplyDelete